National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (N.Z.) (Corporate Name)
- NIWAR |y 
- Te Tari Taihoro Nukurangi
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Limited
- Earlier heading: DSIR Marine and Freshwater (N.Z.) partial [7/1990-6/1992]
- Earlier heading: New Zealand Meteorological Service partial [to 6/1992]
- DSIR Physical Sciences (N.Z.) |y partial [(atmospheric research, fragment of nuclear sciences), 7/1990-6/1992]
- Earlier heading: MAF Technology (NZ) partial [ (aquatic weeds, Rotorua), ca.11/1989-6/1992]
- Freshwater Fisheries Centre (Christchurch, N.Z.) |y partial [ to 6/1992]
- New Zealand Oceanographic Institute
History: In July 1992 the functions of DSIR Marine and Freshwater (N.Z.) and Freshwater Fisheries Centre (N.Z.) were taken over by the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (N.Z.). Freshwater Division. Works by these bodies are found under the name used at the time of publication.
NIWA was established as a Crown Research Institute in July 1992. It incorporates the marine and freshwater divisions of the former Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), the Water and Soil Division of the former Ministry of Works and Development, the Fisheries Research Division formerly in the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, and the atmospheric and climate research divisions of the former N.Z. Meteorological Service and DSIR.